Skip to main content

Green Pets: Introducing my new house plant!

Hi Everyone!

As you can tell by the title of this post, I got a new houseplant! It was a Christmas present but I chose it in a really sweet plant shop near me. It is called a Mind Your Own Business, in more technical terms a Soleirolia. It's latin name is Soleirolia soleirolii.
Introducing Mr Darcy!

I named it Mr Darcy because I love Pride and Prejudice and I thought it appropriate!
It needs to have constantly moist soil and has to be watered by being put in a bowl of water, rather than with a jug. This is because it will get a hole where the water has gone down as it is quite delicate and the leaves are very fine.
It's important to look up how much water your house plant needs and get tips from experts to help your plant to thrive. I talked to the lady in the shop when we were buying it and she told me about how to look after it.

It is joining my two other house plants, Bronausten and Vera which you can learn more about here. If you do click on the link, you will see that there is a photo of Vera and I mentioned that she has grown a lot. Well, she's grown a lot since then too so I thought I would share an updated photo of her!
This is how many shoots she now has!

She's so big that I've had to get her a new pot. That just gives me an excuse to get another house plant to fill the beautiful pot she has now vacated! When I do get another one I will definitely share it with you all.

I hope you've enjoyed this update on how my plant family is doing and we'll be back soon!
ZB

Images:
All images are owned by a blog editor (ZB).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overfishing- An Introduction

When writing the article on the Yangtze Finless Porpoise, I briefly touched on the topic of overfishing. Many of you have probably heard about it, and know it is a massive problem threatening our seas and their inhabitants. Overfishing is so destructive, it can kill all life in the ocean, and many of you might be part of it every day. So I read through many articles from international organisations, and they all say pretty much the same things. It's a highly complex topic, with so many things to say and do, so this is just an introduction to the broadest points. It's very interesting (and sad) but when you look into it further you realize there is actually a lot you can do! This is very important, especially for ocean lovers and seafood people. What is overfishing? By definition, overfishing is so intense fishing, people catch fish quicker than the stocks can reproduce. Leading to a massive decrease in stocks that can peak in the extinction of a s...

Photo Essay | dolphin spotting boat ride

Hi Everyone! Quite a while ago now, me and my family went on a dolphin spotting boat ride, and I've been meaning to share some photos for ages now! We saw so many dolphins very close up and we managed to get some good shots, although it can never be as magical as in person! All photos in this post were taken by me or my family. They were so close to the boat! This photo is stunning! It's under the water! Again - under the water! It was so hard to capture them jumping! This was the boat.... ...

Animals 36-40 in our '50 incredible animals' series

Hi, As you probably noticed, we took a break from this series, mostly due to having just too much to do. But we're back now with the last three posts. 36. The Pinocchio frog The Pinocchio frog can be found in the Foja Mountains in Indonesia. They mainly eat insects, although little is known about them. They are named because the males have a spike on their noses. They were only discovered in 2008, and this was completely by accident! It remained unnamed scientifically until over ten years later when it was given the name " Litoria pinocchio " . There is very little information about them but Wikipedia states that "the male Pinocchio frog inflates its nose when calling, and the nose decreases in size when the frog is calm and quiet," which I think is hilarious and so interesting! 37. Snub-nosed monkey Especially noticeable due to their curious looks, the snub-nosed monkeys can be found in the forests of central China and northern...

Animals 41 - 45 in our '50 incredible animals' series

Hi everyone, 41. Ghost shark So first of all, this is a real animal and not a horror movie! Ghost sharks, often referred to as chimaeras, include around 50 species. They mostly live in the deep ocean and are seldom seen, hence the name. They can be found all over the world. Some species have a large range, for example, the rabbit fish which inhabits the entire northern Atlantic Ocean, or a small range, like the Galapagos Ghost shark which only lives in the waters around the Galapagos . Not much is known considering their population status however they are currently not considered threatened. It is assumed that they reproduce in the same way as most sharks. Not much else is known about ghost sharks. They are as mysterious as their name suggests! 42. Sea pig Again, this is a real animal! But it is not in any way like a pig (I have no idea why they called it a sea pig ). It is a type of sea cucumber, that lives in the ocean depths. Their bodies are fille...

Energy comparison: Hydroelectricity

Hello everyone, Welcome back to another energy comparison post. Today we're talking about hydroelectricity. This is basically just using the power of moving water for our own uses. This idea has been around for thousands of years. The ancient Greeks and Romans used watermills to grind grains for making bread. Watermills were used up until the Industrial Revolution. What is hydroelectricity? There are three types of hydroelectric power plants. Impoundment facilities are the most common. The water is stored in a pool or reservoir normally located at a higher elevation. The dam uses gates or valves to control the water flow. When there is demand for electricity, the water is released. It falls downwards and turns turbines that turn the kinetic energy of the water (movement energy) into electric energy. Diversion facilities don't have a dam. They channel the water towards the turbines using a system of canals. Pumped-storage facilities are...

How does plastic affect the environment?

Hello, I wanted to clarify exactly how plastic affects the environment. I hope this will explain. When plastic breaks, it releases toxic gasses that poison animals. Also, if plastic is swallowed it could cut or damage the inside of the animal. Many animals such as turtles and dolphins mistake the small plastic fragments for food. Even if the plastic is too small to cut into the insides of the animal or cause choking, too many micro plastics inside an animal will eventually block the digestive tracts and they will starve to death.  Recent research proves that plastic has entered the human body. This is because plankton eats microplastics and small fish eat plankton. Bigger fish eat smaller fish and we eat the bigger fish. So inside us is plastic. Plastic also blocks waterways and sewers. This leads to the perfect breading grounds for disease carrying animals such as mosquitos. When plastic is burned it releases those toxic gas...

National parks - how do they help the environment?

Hello National parks are a place of immense beauty. They are know as tourist attractions and are best recognised by their incredible landscapes. Today we are talking about their effects on the natural world! Yosemite National Park, United States National parks are normally created and protected by governments. In most cases, they have public access, meaning that visitors can walk around in them and admire them. The IUCN defines what is a national park and what isn't. In 2006, over 6 500 areas met the criteria and are defined as a national park. However, there are many areas called National Park, that aren't a national park according to IUCN and there are places that the IUCN defines as a national park but the government doesn't. So some countries have their own definitions. In the UK and some other countries, a national park referes to an u...

Green Pets || easy house plants to get you started // best house plants for beginners

Hi Everyone! Today I wanted to talk to you about some easy house plants you could look after to get you started on your green pets journey. These are plants that are easy to look after and that I recommend for an introduction into caring for house plants. If you are a beginner or want to look after some plants, then this is the post for you! 1. Cacti - moon cactus I don't actually have a cactus, but they are the obvious place to start. They need little water and thrive in warm conditions; they are described as "low maintenance". I have done some research and it looks like the moon cactus (Gymnocalycium mihanovichii) is the best one in terms of not being too fussy with needing minimal water and tolerates lower light levels. I would like a cactus at some point, but if you are just starting out wanting to care for some house plants, then this is the one to start with! 2. Aloe Vera One of my first house plants, this is one that is rela...

Green Pets: introducing Agatha, my "string of pearls"

Hi Everyone! Welcome back to Green Pets, the house plant series on this blog where I talk about my house plants and just house plants in general too. It was my birthday recently and I (you guessed it!) got a new houseplant! Meet Agatha!! This one was gifted by a very dear friend of mine, and for my birthday we visited Agatha Christie's holiday house in Devon together, so Agatha seemed a very fitting name!! She is a hanging plant, which I love, and I've done a bit of research on how to best care for her. There are some very clear signs of when she needs water. The main one is when the "beads" shrivel up or turn yellow. I'm still working out a watering schedule that works for her. I know that I shouldn't water her until the soil is dry again and when you do water her, it has to be a good soak. Light-wise, she needs a fair amount. Luckily, my room is very brig...

Animals 11-15 in our '50 incredible animals' series

Hello, We have another five amazing animals for you today. Enjoy! 11. Dhole This is a dog species which looks rather like a red fox . They are difficult to put into any of the dog subfamilies. They aren't foxes, nor wolves, nor domestic dogs. Dholes are fast runners and live in packs of 5-12 individuals. Although sometimes, different packs will join forces to become a pack of 30 or more individuals! However, these super packs are broken up after a successful hunt. The different packs rarely attack each other as neighbouring packs are often closely related. Dhole packs live in burrows with multiple entrances. They can be found in eastern and southern Asia. They eat wild berries, insects and lizards and as a pack hunt deer, rodents and other wild mammals. Interestingly, unlike other dogs, they rarely kill by biting at the throat. They are also good swimmers! 12. Irrawaddy dolphin The Irrawaddy dolphin can be found in coastal areas of south a...